Monday, April 18, 2011

LIZ JONES FASHION THERAPY

Spring in her step: Lisa Snowdon in the M&S advert

Spring in her step: Lisa Snowdon in the M&S advert
We have all seen the TV ad. There is model Lisa Snowdon, dancing and gyrating in a pair of strappy summer sandals. She is smiling.
She isn’t holding on to pieces of furniture or passing fellow holidaymakers. But we all know advertisements sometimes stretch the truth.
Could it be that once the cameras stopped rolling, she sat down, threw her shoes into the pool and rubbed her poor, ruined feet? Or will the new super comfy shoe from Marks  &  Spencer turn out to be as liberating for women as the vote, the Pill and wire-free bra?
The new patented high heel promises much. Called the Insolia, it claims to be comfy for three times longer than a normal strappy heel.
Its unique design means it decreases pressure on the ball of your foot, the shape improves your body alignment and balance, the ankle is supported and stable, and the padding means there are fewer pressure points.
I decided to put the shoe through the ultimate workout. First, a spring wedding, most of which was spent standing on springy turf. An evening at a nightclub. A walk through the Marais district of Paris and, finally, boarding a yacht in a strong swell.
Four events that should put a spring in the step of any woman, but ones that, because of the fashion for high, badly made (no matter what the price tag) footwear, struck doom into my heart.
I have worn heels for many years, and still find them uncomfortable and tiring.
Despite lessons, little gel pads placed in the sole and thick socks, I still most closely resemble Dick Emery in drag when I wear heels: bent knees and haggard.
I wonder why women (and it is mostly young women) do it to themselves. We have turned into the walking wounded. Will the M&S shoes mean I’ll be liberated, and save money on taxis into the bargain?
Autograph Coated Leather T-Bar Tubular Sandals with Insolia
Comfortable and stylish: The strappy Insolia sandals Liz Jones trialled

  More...
  • Smarty pants: This season's statement trouser shapes - for every budget
  • Best dressed guests: Forget the bride - these wedding looks will steal the show
I chose a pair of strappy sandals in faux snakeskin, with a zip at the back of the heel. All the signs were good: the shoe is rigid. If you can wobble the instep or heel with your hands, don’t buy them.
The design also meant my foot would be supported: an ankle strap acts as a sort of seatbelt, meaning my foot is not thrown forward.
The shoe cups the heel, which is so much more practical than a strap, which will only stretch and keep slipping off.
When I put on the M&S shoes, I could feel the cushion under the ball of my foot and my heels. Despite not having a platform, my foot felt balanced. On pebbles, I couldn’t feel every stone.
I was able to walk around Paris without fearing the stone steps and pavements, and I made it on to the yacht without plunging over the side. There were also no threads or rough seams on the inside of the shoe, which you can get in even the most expensive of brands.
I really think these shoes are perfect for a summer wedding. I was able to wander around on grass without worrying about ruining my footwear or feeling the shoe buckle.
The height, too, is optimum for active wear when you also want a bit of lift and to feel smart: three-and-a-half inches. Marvellous!
I started to feel exactly like Lisa Snowdon, all shiny haired and carefree.

No comments:

Post a Comment